Thursday, August 13, 2009

2 month check-up and a sick mommy

I think this one is going to be a little snuggler.. he loves being swaddled and sleeps best when he is smack up against something else (me usually!)...
and this one..well I think she is trouble! hee hee just kidding! She is a cutie though! (and also quite the cuddler ;o)
Today was Schuyler's 2 month check up. Yeah, so its like a week and 2 days late. It was originally supposed to be July 31st (HA! 4 days EARLY) but well it has become against my nature to do anything early or on time anymore so we had to reschedule it. Actually we had to make an impromptu trip to PA over that time but more on that another day.

The Doctor said our baby boy is doing awesome. He is now 10lbs 14 oz and 22 inches. He's in the 25th percentile for both height and weight and in the 10th for head size just like his big sissy was! Hey, this lady does not complain about babies with small heads ;o) the only problem is there are 0 hats out there to fit them. Isabelle can still wear 18-24 month hats! Schuyler did great during the physical exam. Izzie has always had a bit of dramatic flair to her and would scream through the entire thing. Sky was checking out the room and giving the Dr lots of smiles. He was scheduled to get quite a few vaccinations today. He was a big fan of the rotavirus vaccine that they give orally, but not so much about the shots. While Isabelle has always taken shots like a champ, Sky was still recovering from them when we got back to the car....it made me feel a little bad for Schuyler that he may have gotten his Daddy's pain tolerance and not his Mommy's. ;o)

I shouldn't poke fun though as my pain tolerance was put to the test the past two days. I was lucky enough to go to battle with Mastitis and a few times I wasn't quite sure I was going to come out victorious. Yeah, it was pretty awful and I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and sickness. I can remember the last time I felt like that.. I was a kid and had strep throat and spent the entire day at my Nana's..which is where I spent almost every sick day as a kid..I kid not, she is the best home nurse ever.. OJ with crushed ice and a bed made on the couch complete with a fitted sheet and anything else that was requested was given..it was the best place to be when sick and even now anytime I am sick I wish I could go back 20 years (oh good God now I sound old..20 years, seriously?? wow.) to the days of being pampered at Nana's house. I don't even like OJ..unless I am sick and it is chilled with crushed ice..oh that she crushed herself, mind you.. this was back before there were fancy refrigerators with ice crushers in them. Ok, yeah, now I really am sounding old and I am going off on a tangent. sorry. Anyway, I was so sick and had been fighting an awful fever all day. I had actually moved from the couch to the spare bedroom I was so sick. My mom came to pick me up and I couldn't even move to go home I was so sick. I don't have a ton of really clear childhood memories but for some reason that one is clear as day. Yeah so that is how sick I felt..oh and it came on like a ton of bricks. so awful. For those of you that don't know what in the world Mastitis is, well it is an infected milk duct...just sounds painful, right? Looking back I now know that I had a clogged duct... but thanks to my high pain tolerance I didn't listen to my body and address the tenderness I felt or the extreme exhaustion of my body telling me to just SLOW DOWN for a minute..nope I just kept right on chugging along...till I got stopped dead in my tracks at about 2:30 PM on Tuesday afternoon. I started to just get a wave come over me and the HVAC guy wouldn't stop calling me to close the deal (I hate sales people..oh wait I am married to one I guess I'm not allowed to say that, huh? ;o) ) so I get the kids' down for naps and I make myself some lunch. I thought maybe I was just feeling sick since I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast. I start feeling the chills and the tenderness feeling that I was feeling all of a sudden becomes a little more painful. Yeah this is the first time I thought, "oh gosh, maybe I have a clogged milk duct" DUH JEN! So I google it and see the symptoms...tenderness-check... flu-like feeling-check... fever-not that I know of yet, but starting to feel a little feverish..heaven forbid I actually take my temperature though.. :rollseyes: Quick call or maybe it was a text to my friend that I remember mentioning that she had a clogged duct when she was nursing and she recommends I call my Dr because it can go from bad to worse if its infected. Well in about 5 minutes I went from bad to worse.. I finally took my fever and it was 101...then it was 102.3...then after that it was 103.1. I called the Dr after I confirmed the fever of 101 and she gave me my directions..bed rest, lots of fluids and nursing and antibiotics. I was useless the rest of the day. I actually had to call Jason and he came home to take care of the kids the rest of the day. I forgot what the flu and a fever feels like and add a migraine on top of it. I was totally out of it all day yesterday as well. Yesterday is when the nursing pains set in.. good God I just sat and cried during feedings. Thank goodness it has only been one side.

Today I am feeling much better...still feeling warn down and tired but not nearly as weak and fluey as I was. Nursing isn't as bad either. Holy crap though I was quite a ride. I don't think Jason's ever seen me quite that sick and dependent before. I think it took him a little while before he realized I really was not capable of anything. He said that between the post-pardem hemorrhaging and now this he thinks he might be done with babies.

No comments: